Are You Aware?
When you start writing, you are always on the lookout for inspiration, topics and subject matter. Starting this blog has made me more aware of my surroundings. Am I trying to notice things more, to have something to say, or am I being better in tune to my world. Either way, I am really happy to have this “new” awareness.
A recent morning is no exception; I was on my way to drop the little deckhand off and noticed three deer in someone’s front yard. Now normally, I probably would still be in my morning fog, as I am most of the time before I’ve had my coffee. I slowed the car down and told little deckhand to “look at the deer!” While little deckhand did not really notice, I was excited to point them out. This follows several days of robins in various yards in the morning, greeting us to welcome the day. While the birds assure me that spring is near, the deer for some reason make me think about winter. My bones are cold from the long months of winter, and I am ready to be outside and enjoy the warm sunshine. I want to see the flowers, the green lawns, the kids playing in the park-as long as they leave a swing open for little deckhand!
Being more aware has also made me be more open to others. I’m not the only one that needs to be heard. Everyone is just like me, and wants to be asked how they are doing. You know what? If you actually listen, you may learn a lot about that person that you would have never known otherwise, how people spend their weekends, what’s going on with their families and what they worry about. It’s funny, by listening and offering up a caring ear, you will actually feel a better connection yourself and maybe feel better too, knowing that there is a friend out there somewhere willing to do the same for you.
What will the day hold, I don’t know, but I am ready to find out and enjoy the good things in life.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home